Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Happy牛Year!

Chinese new year is all about keeping traditions. Having reunion dinner with the whole family, receiving angbaos, special new year greetings to the elderly are all part of our chinese practices for this festive occasion. To me, it is a much-valued day where everyone takes time off their busy lives, to spend well-deserved quality time with their family.

I often wonder if these traditions will be kept for the next few generations. With the demise of my maternal grandparents (few years ago), many of my relatives from that side of the family stopped keeping in touch with one another. which is kind of sad. Comparatively, my paternal grandparents are still around, and the ties of the family members on our paternal side are much closer. I reasoned this is because my grandparents are the gel that holds the family together.

Anyway, this year's celebration has been awesome! haha. Perhaps even better than previous years of chinese new year celebrations. I guess this is because I've been away, and being away from your family makes you miss your family and somehow makes you realise how much they mean to you.

Simply put, there's nowhere better than home. :)


my family <3

No comments: